A Place to Rest My Feet

Remember a looooong time ago when I purchased fabric to recover our ottoman that matches our Papasan chair? If not, I talk about it in this post from Labor Day.  We received our Papasan chair and ottoman as a hand-me-down from Shane’s uncle.  We replaced the chair cushion with a green microfiber from Pier 1 Imports, but they didn’t have a coordinating ottoman cushion that we liked. Here’s the before:

We decided to live with the ottoman as-is until I got around to replacing or recovering it.  I didn’t think it would take this long.  Yes, it has been nearly nine months since I chose the fabric to recover the ottoman cushion…about time I did something with it!

I don’t know if it’s nesting instinct or what, but I’ve been pretty productive in the past week.  Luckily, this project only took me about an hour while Shane and his friends played Dungeons & Dragons in the front room.  I already had my sewing machine out from last weekend when I made a flag banner for the nursery, so I required very little set up.  The fabric I picked out in September is a heavy-duty outdoor grade canvas.  I figured it would hold up a lot better to feet and shoes that way.  I got excited a couple weeks ago when I recognized the same fabric in a fancy outdoor furniture catalog.  Earlier in the week I popped by Hancock Fabrics to pick up a spool of brown thread and after quickly winding a bobbin (easier said than done in my experience with my current machine), I was ready to go.

To begin, I vacuumed all the cat hair and debris that had collected on the original cushion so it would be nice and clean when I recovered it.  Then I traced it on a double layer of newspaper to create a pattern for myself.

I then cut around my Sharpie line giving about 1/2 – 5/8″ for seam allowance.

Portia then performed a quality check on the fabric:

Afterwards, I pinned my two pattern pieces onto the fabric (remember I used a double layer of newspaper).  I could’ve folded the fabric in half and made only one cut, but I wanted to center the pattern on each side of the cushion.  To do this, I cut out each piece separately, allowing me to place the pattern piece where I wanted on the fabric.

Once cut, I pinned the two circles with the right-sides together.

I then sewed the two pieces together with a 1/2″ seam.  I left an approximately 10″ gap on one side so I would be able to stuff the cushion once I was done.  I also reinforced the seam on each side of that gap by reversing and sewing over the seam a couple times so it was nice and sturdy.

I then turned the fabric right-side out and stuffed the cushion in.  Luckily, I had a nice snug fit! I then sewed the open seam by hand and was left with a finished product!  Not bad for an hour’s work!

I can’t believe it took me so long to get around to completing such a quick upgrade! I love that the ottoman actually matches our room decor now!

I should note, I skipped adding the tufts to the ottoman cover as were on the original cushion and the chair.  I’ve found they just collect cat hair and debris and it’s easier to keep it clean this way.

Anybody else surprised by how quick and easy a long-put-off project is once you do it?

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “A Place to Rest My Feet

  1. So, my sewing machine sucks at winding bobbins, too. A few years ago, my mom bought me a bobbin winding machine like this one: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bobbin+winder&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8Y4&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=883&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2280044897894798415&sa=X&ei=k2KlT-30A6Hq2QWNxJimAg&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAA

    I hope that link works, because the little machine rocks! It does take up a little room in my sewing supplies basket, but I think it’s well worth it!

    • Ooo I’ll have to check that out! I’m pretty sure it’s my machine and not me. I never had this many problems winding bobbins on my mom’s machine. When I was working on the flag banner, I made three attempts before getting a useable, but still not good, bobbin after it ran out mid-project. I can’t tell you how much thread I wasted cutting it off the bobbin after each failed attempt. So frustrating!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s