I know, I promised this post like a week ago…better late than never, I suppose? I would’ve posted sooner, but Shane and I played hooky and spent a long weekend in Ocean City instead of working on things around the house.
The weekend before this past weekend, I finished painting the trim in the nursery. I don’t have any before/after photos for you – I’m pretty sure our old Nikon point-and-shoot wouldn’t capture the difference in white paint on white trim anyways. It’s just one of those things you have to see in person. The freshly painted trim makes a world of a difference and leaves the room looking a lot more polished. The previous owners had carelessly slapped on a single coat of flat white paint, now it’s all glossy and pretty. I had to scrape off the drips and poorly done caulk and then sand down the baseboards, molding and window frames by hand. Then I painted all the trim with two coats of Olympic No-VOC Semi-Gloss in white (off the shelf at Lowes). I have to say, I felt kind of weird painting unsupervised. I didn’t quite trust myself to pour paint out of the can into the tray. Every other time I’ve painted anything, it’s been with my parents at their house when I was younger – never on my own. Fortunately, by the time I got around to the second coat, I had found my rhythm and was feeling more confident in my abilities.
Next on our to-do list was to tackle this eyesore/safety hazard:
What you’re looking at is the access point to the plumbing for our bathtub and shower. Unfortunately, this is located on the shared wall with the nursery. The screws were inconvenient when we had the plumber here, and the peeling paint and caulk are not exactly baby (or kitty) friendly.
Leaving it open wasn’t exactly an option either:
We opted to create a door with hinges and a latch to make access more convenient and to make it more attractive overall. To start, we purchased a plywood board which we cut and sanded to fit the opening. I used the same paint on the board as I used on the trim for the rest of the room. (Since the previous owners didn’t leave any paint behind, we have no idea what color the walls are to attempt to match the paint). Taking my dad’s advice, I applied one coat of paint to the plywood and then had Shane sand down the board again, to try and even it all out so the wood grain wouldn’t show through the paint. I then applied two more coats of paint, allowing the recommended drying time in between, to get a nice glossy white board to match the trim.
Once the paint was fully cured, we were able to attach the hardware and complete the project, which we did just yesterday. The same time we purchased the plywood, we also picked up a set of hinges, a latch and a luggage lock at Lowes.
The finished product, which I am now referring to as our Oompa Loompa Door:
It’s not ideal, but it’s certainly a lot more attractive than the Before. It will also be mostly covered by the crib anyhow. Here’s a sneak peak of our assembled crib and the unfinished Oompa Loompa door to demonstrate the scale: